About Me

My photo
Hi, Welcome to my blog and thanks for visiting. I'm Carol, married to Bill, with two children. I love to dabble in all types of crafty pursuits and enjoy nothing more than attending workshops and learning new techniques, which I then try to reproduce at home....sometimes with success!!!

Followers

Thursday, 23 May 2013

New Challenge at Anything Goes Challenge Blog.......CORAL INSPIRED ME !!

Hi everyone,
Well, it's a new challenge today, over at Anything Goes Challenge Blog. This fortnight the theme for Challenge #93 is HANDMADE BACKGROUNDS. I know you will all have some fantastic ideas for this and it gives you great scope with all your creativity!!!The Challenge will run from 21st May until Monday 3rd June.
We love popping in and visiting your crafty places and seeing all your beautiful creations. So, Anything Goes fans.....set to work and join us over on the blog. You can join  the HERE
This is my card for the challenge.
I made the background using one of my favourite yet easy peasy techniques! I call it a Gesso Squelch, but am sure someone somewhere has the right name for this. I covered 2 pieces of card with a thick layer of Gesso and then laid them on top of each other and squelched them together. They were then separated and they leave you with a great textured background. A heat gun was used to dry them off, this takes quite some time according to the thickness of the Gesso.
The background was then coloured using various shades of distress inks on top of which  I painted various shades of Twinkling H2o's, to give a reflective appearance and this also reminded me of the reflective nature of water! The texture popped off the page and reminded me of the beautiful corals in the Oceans.....so there you have it....I knew just the theme I wanted to create.
I chose 2 stamps from Designs By Ryn, the swirls  and seahorse. I stamped the swirls directly onto the background and for some extra texture added several colours of Flower Soft. The seahorse was stamped and coloured using the twinkling H2O's again. and cut out and raised using foam pads.
Finally the background was layered onto turquoise and coral coloured card.

Many of the items I have used are available from The Craft Den as are all your staple supplies they have a great range so do pop by there. As usual the Design team have showcased some lovely projects on the blog for your inspiration.
Thanks for popping in today and for any comments you choose to leave......always much appreciated!
Bye for now
Carol xx
I would like to enter this for the following challenges
Craft room Challenge                Stamp your own background
Stampotique Challenge             Anything Goes
Cards in envy                            Make your own background
ABC Challenge                         Stamp your own background
Addicted to Stamps and More   #46 Anything  Goes
Eclectic Ellapu                          Anything Goes
therubberbuggychallenge          Anything Goes
bearlymine-challenges               Anything Goes
www.4craftychicks.143-critters. Critters
creativeinspirationspaint              Anything Goes

26 comments:

  1. Lovely background, going to have to try it out!! Hope you are ok Carol xhugsx Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how your background turned out, and thanks for sharing your Gesso Squelch technique - I'm new to gesso, so I need all the tips and advice I can get:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carol, What a neat idea with the gesso! I love how you interpreted it as coral. It really does look like it! Many thanks for sending a link to your blog. Anytime. Honestly, I will always welcome seeing your creations be it on my FB page or in my email. Both are fine. I'll post this to my page in the next few days with a link to you. All the best to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol. What a lovely underwater theme. Great technique with the Gesso. I've never used it before, but this looks fun to try.
    Hugs, Janine xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to come over for a closer look and so glad I did! This seascape you created is gorgeous! Love the flower soft touch! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...Fabulous background... Love the texture & brilliant colours...the seahorse is Gorgeous.... Thank you for joining us at Eclectic Ellapu this week... Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very effective beautiful colours and the sheen from the H2O's is perfect thank you for sharing with us at Craft-Room Challenge XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful background, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Gesso Squelch technique made a beautiful "undersea" scene for your seahorse. Lovely idea! Thank you for joining us at Cards in Envy! ~ Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! Awesome background technique. Really wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing with us and joining the Cards in Envy challenge. ♥ Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Gesso Squelch! It looks like a real underwater scene! Love the sea horse! Thank you for sharing with us at Cards in Envy!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely background to this creation.

    Thanks for joining us at Eclectic Ellapu this week

    Kelly
    Pink DT Member
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great technique - love it! Thanks for sharing with CIE

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is a very neat technique! It made for a great background and I love the colors you added. Thanks for sharing with us at ABC Challenge Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your card is amazing! I love the colours and textures.

    Thanks for joining us at Bearly Mine this week.

    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great texture and colors! Thanks for joining us at ATSM this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a fabulous card, the colours are lovely.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love your card. Your textured background is awesome! Thank you for joining us at ABC Challenges. Xx Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow I really love your background, I must try that technique as it is so effective. Thank you so much for joining us at Craft Room Challenge and good luck with the draw. Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's such a great background! It looks great with your sea horse. Thanks for sharing that technique and for playing with us at ATSM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Wonderful effect of your technique, super cool card! Thank you for playing at The Rubber Buggy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really effective background and it compliments the card perfectly. Thank you for joining the Craft Room challenge. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  23. The background is really nice done and such a gorgeous card it is! I love it!
    Hugs
    Rosemarie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty card - very neat background! Thanks for joining us at 4 Crafty Chicks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for playing our Critter challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic background, layout, colors and image! Thank you so much for sharing your incredible inspiration with us at 4 Crafty Chicks. Have an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete